Some people think that email marketing is passé, but nothing could be further from the truth. Email marketing is still more effective than any other type of Internet marketing. The money is still in the list. But, are you doing everything you can to get the most from your email marketing efforts?
How can you achieve maximum results from email?
In fact, you should be using all the tools available today, from social media, to PPC, to blogging to get more people to sign up for your email marketing campaigns. Email marketing, when done well is still the most effective form of marketing there is.
To do email right follow these tips:
- Get Targeted Subscribers — Research your target audience so that you can build a list full of people who are truly interested in what you want to talk about. You don’t just want anyone on your list, you want people who are right for your products and services.
- Double Opt-In — Always use a double opt-in feature that comes with your email marketing software such as Constant Contact. This will ensure that people really want to be on your email list. Make it easy for them to disqualify themselves by putting the unsubscribe links at the top and the bottom of all emails.
- Do What You Say You Will — Tell new readers exactly what you will deliver to them, how often, and about what topics, and then do what you say you will. Don’t waver in how often you said you’d send them information, if you go a long time without sending information they’ll forget about you and think you’re spam without ever reading what you have to say.
- Write Effective Subject Lines — The subject lines of your emails are very important because without learning how to write effective subject lines even those who signed up for your list will not open your emails. This is not the place to be tricky or use puns. Be personal, and be direct.
- Write With Authority But Be Real — The email itself should be written with authority and knowledge that you have a lot to offer your readers. They signed up for this and asked you to send them regular emails, don’t apologize. But, use a casual tone as if you’re talking to a trusted friend.
- Get Personal — Sending generic emails without personalization is not a good way to get people to want to read what you have to say. Use their name (the software helps!) and make them feel like you are speaking directly to them.
- Be Trustworthy — If everything you recommend turns out to be top notch, and everything you write is well researched and true, your audience will learn to trust you so much that they will become your biggest fans.
- Tell a Compelling Story — If you can get to your audience’s emotions you’ll be able to achieve overwhelming and unstoppable results. One way to do that is to share your own story and /or those of other people with whom they can relate.
- Deliver Quality Targeted Content — Send the right emails to the right people by segmenting your audience using the email marketing software. You want each piece of content to speak directly to the reader.
- Figure out the Right Timing — Each niche has a specific time of the day they’re more likely to open emails. Try a few tests sending out emails with the same subject line to find out what time of day and what day an email is most likely to be opened.
- Include a Call To Action — Whether it’s asking your readers to share, vote, like, join, buy, or what-have-you it’s important to always include a compelling call to action that they can’t miss. By including a CTA in every email you’ll get more results.
If every email talks to your ideal client, gets to the point, tells a relatable story and includes a CTA you can’t lose. You may need to test various subject lines, and edit until your email is clear, but if you do these things it will be effective and your email will achieve maximum results.
What is your strategy for successful emails?
Featured image credit Jairo. Flickr unaltered
Please tell us how you liked this article