Special Guest: Larry Arrance
My friend Larry Arrance of Cornerstone Consultants is a professional "Wordsmith", a copywriter with a wealth of experience in all kinds of copywriting areas. He has published several books and regularly teaches writing workshops. Larry helps business owners and professionals to get their message across with more clarity and power.
Welcome to Episode 2 of the BlueBird Podcast!
Here are some tips Larry gave us:
Larry's formula for promotional content:
- I - Interrupt
- E - Engage
- E - Educate
- O - Offer
- The headline comes first before the actual email or blog. That doesn't mean you are stuck with it. But the headline also guides what you are putting into the blog.
- WIIFM > What's in it for me. Whatever you are writing has to be relevant to what your audience is doing.
- Stay away from headlines that promise something when your content is about something else. People feel duped and won't trust you anymore.
- Email subject lines will follow the same pattern but with email, you will have to be much shorter. A lot of people use the preview window that also shows the first line of the email. So the beginning line of your email is very important for the open rate.
- Keep your email subject lines tight - 7 words max. That's why that first line is so important.
- If you can spare ten minutes a day you can write two books a year!
- Give yourself two or three headlines that best match up with the content.
Please let me know in the comments how you liked this episode!